Private Owners Club
Info on how to use your BBQ properly
Arctic Cabins BBQs are easy to light and, if you follow these simple rules, you will have a happy cabin and happy people:
- First, rake out the grate and empty the ashtray;
- Close the Cabin windows and door (to eliminate unwanted draughts) and fully open the damper plate (air vent) beneath the grate. Ensure there is nothing obstructing the floor hole under the BBQ unit, or the vents on the outside of the Cabin. It is important to get unobstructed air flow from beneath the grill, past the damper to the charcoal on the BBQ grill;
- Adjust the height of the chimney hood to its lowest position (it can be raised later once the fire has finished burning and the ashtray has been cleaned out);
- Using a small amount of dry wooden kindling or BBQ charcoal, create a small fire in the centre of the grill, about the size of 2 fists. You can add BBQ lighter fuel as necessary but only add this before lighting the fire and according to the instructions on the fuel container. Never attempt to add more liquid or gel fuels once the fire is lit;
- Allow the fire to build and keep a flame at all times as this will heat the chimney and begin the 'draw' of airflow;
- Once established, add more charcoal as required.
Common Causes of a Smoky Cabin
Attempting to burn damp fuel is the most common cause of smoky cabin problems, so ensure your fuel is kept 'tinder' dry before use. Charcoal should be stored indoors (preferably next to a radiator). Insufficient ventilation will also make the fire harder to light and may cause smoking. Make sure the chimney is not obstructed (by overhanging trees for example) and that the ventilation beneath the cabin is adequate and not blocked in any way. Lifting the hood before the fire has gone out can also cause smoke to escape into the cabin.
For additional peace of mind our Cabins come supplied with a 8SDB Carbon Monoxide Detector/Alarm which should not be moved from the installed position and should be tested regularly in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. Our cabins also come supplied with Fire Extinguishers manufactured to BS EN3, Kitemarked & CE marked.
Info on the cabin stain and varnish we recommend
Announcements and competitions
Sign up to our new Owners club
Sign up to our new Owners club which is launching in May this year